Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fraction Pizzas

As I said in an earlier post, we have been working a lot with fractions in our room lately. The challenging part about fractions is it is a ever-building phenomenon. From now on, they will constantly be building upon what they know about fractions and how they use them.

I explain it to my students as a giant game of Jenga. In kindergarden, students put the first few pieces of their "game" out, this includes numbers, adding, counting, etc... As they learn new material in other grades, they simply build upon what they know! However, it is important that you have a good hold on the information before you add it to your "tower" otherwise you have a rocky foundation. 

I constantly explain math this way to my students and they really seem to get it. They even refer to it! They ask questions like, "Are we adding this to our Jenga tower?"

This week, we made fraction pizzas! I know this is a project that has been done many times, I just loved how they turned out and my kiddos really impressed me with how awesome they turned out so I had to share.  I love seeing them really grasp a concept; it makes my teacher heart smile. 





No comments:

Post a Comment